Mark A. Cepela, M.D.
A native of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Dr. Cepela has practiced in the Cincinnati area for more than two decades. He is a specialist in Oculoplastic Surgery, or surgery to correct physical conditions that may affect eyesight or personal appearance. His work can be life-changing for many people, either by allowing them to see better, or by improving the appearance so they can be more confident and more successful in all aspects of their lives.
In addition to his practice at Midwest Eye Center, Dr. Cepela also volunteers his time for Orbis, a flying eye hospital that travels to underdeveloped countries and performs surgeries that would not otherwise be available to patients in those areas. Orbis is more than just a traveling surgical center; it’s also a teaching hospital. Patients are treated in conjunction with ophthalmologists in the area, so that local doctors will be able to handle surgeries and other treatments for patients going forward. Orbis currently travels to 20 different nations worldwide.
“This is one of the most rewarding things I do,” said Dr. Cepela. He noted that on one Orbis trip, he treated a young teenage girl that had a facial significant orbital deformity. Because of this, she was shunned and was an outcast in her village. “She would not be considered to be marriable,” Dr. Cepela said. “It would have been difficult for her to get a job.”
Through significant personal effort on his part, Dr. Cepela was able to get the girl to the United States for treatment, since her condition required more than could be done with the traveling Orbis hospital. She received the surgery she needed in the states, and the results were extremely positive. Thanks to the efforts of Dr. Cepela and numerous others, she is now able to live a normal life.
Dr. Cepela is also Past President of the Cincinnati Society of Ophthalmology. When he’s not working or volunteering, Dr. Cepela is an avid water and snow skier. He also enjoys playing tennis. He and his wife have three grown, successful sons.
- Fellow, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Cincinnati Academy of Medicine
- Cincinnati Society of Ophthalmology
- Kentucky Medical Association
- Northern Kentucky Medical Society
- Ohio State Medical Association
Awards and Recognitions
- Past president of the Cincinnati Society of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Research Award
- Phi Kappa Phi Honors Fraternity
- Guest faculty and lecturer with Orbis Teaching missions.
- Chief Resident, William Beaumont Hospital Ophthalmology Department
- University of Michigan Medical School
- Internship at St. John’s Hospital Detroit, MI
- Ophthalmology Residency at William Beaumont Hospital in Michigan
- Oculoplastic and Orbital Surgery Fellowship at Indiana University in Indianapolis